Thursday, September 18, 2008

Don't Hate Me for this Post



So, thanks to my sister (teacher of, and general lover of all things young adult/middle school) I read the Twilight series. It is so BAD, its good. Well, the first book was addictive, the other 3 not so much. I was totally hooked by the intensity of the high school romance. For those of you who are blissfully unaware of this series, Twilight is about Isabella --an accident prone perma-victim, who requires perpetual saving from her boyfriend Edward, who is a vampire...yeah, you heard me. I tell you they are terrible books, but so easy to read that I hate to admit I read them all (each book 400 pages plus) in under a week. Everyone who has read these books has had the same thing to say: Isabella is about the worst character in history. She just wanders through the story getting in trouble and waiting to be saved by either her boyfriend, a werewolf friend, or her dad. Either way, for books that are read by so many young women, is this a good message? Would you want your daughters reading it?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Your first error was calling her Isabella. Umm, hello her name is bella. Just think she is a terrible role model for girls that age. Don't get me wrong, I did passionately love/hate the books.