Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tougher Reading



So as my son & his cuz run and dance around my sister's basement I feel free to blog... I'll write all my posts today then take another month off.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I read The Forever War by Dexter Filkins. It is his "diary" of his time in Iraq and Afghanistan. Needless to say, there are some rough parts to that book. It is a really good read and I learned a lot.

I am also finishing The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright. Jane and I had seen this author speak about this book almost 2 years ago. Lawrence Wright has done an incredible amount of research to give his readers insight into the inception of Al-Qaeda. I always hesitated in picking this book up because I thought it would be dry and difficult to follow. I was so wrong. This book reads like a spy novel (sadly, its not fictional). I feel so much more informed about what is going on in the world and how we got there. 



My next goal is to read about the people we hear the least about: The women and children caught in these conflicts.

I have a whole list of books centered around conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. I can publish it if anyone is interested. I appreciate the book recommendations that you have given me and they are all on my list.
(J-- I plan to read Thousand Splendid Suns for the next book).

2 comments:

Sarah said...

good to know that my babysitting dollars are well spent. have you mentioned your NYT crush yet?

Claire said...

Just finished The Looming Tower.... its so good.