Monday, December 29, 2008

I LOVE THIS MAN

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.











      


I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and it is maybe the BEST book I've ever read. I have been reading a lot of quality books lately, but none as creative and beautifully written as this. I just finished the last sentence and I am literally crushed that its over. Please please please read this book. It is truly incredible.

From the back cover...
By her brother's graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Grave Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found. But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up and closed down. 




1 comment:

Julia said...

With a recommendation like that I had to order it. On its way from Amazon...