Saturday, October 25, 2008

Library shout out


As someone who loves nothing more than going to a bookstore and leaving with my very own bag full of books I was as shocked as anyone  to discover my love for the public library. If you have not been in a while I highly recommend visiting your local branch. The little man and I often go to sit and read the million and one board books they can offer us as well as hang out for storytime. We check out the museum passes that take us everywhere... for free.  I tutor there and find that my students of all ages are so excited to check out new books. In a time when all of us are looking for ways to save some cash, the library can make a book lover not feel so guilty. Plus, it is awesome to see how many people are showing up DAILY to vote. 

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love the library, where else can you get old episodes of Veronica Mars, cruddy book club books that I don't want to buy and internet when mine is acting up... all for free!!! Can you get science and industry passes at the Chic library? If so, I'm making my friend get one when we go in a couple of weeks!!

RuyEstefania said...

We go to Harold Washington since it's where Ruben studies. It is sooooo big, I get lost. I always say I wish I could spend the entire day there. I always go looking for an specific book or topic and finish with 5 other ones, totally out of the subject, jajaja!! (Ruben says that up on the 6th floor there are the best seats).

Really, you are sooo lucky you can enjoy it with your little man. Good for you!! I loved seeing you the other day. Let's get together, yes!

CarrieM said...

I too love libraries and Tyler has spent a lot of time at great libraries in several different cities in his first year of life. Our favorites include the beautiful Millicent Library in Fairhaven, MA that is over 100 years old and full of stained glass and chandeliers.
Also the Weezie Library for Children within the historic Nantucket Atheneum. So cozy with a unique collection of childrens book about the ocean, boating and New England history.
Thats why our trip to the South Beach Library here in Miami today was a bit disappointing. Its just a big ugly municipal building, nothing charming or warm about it. Storytime was typical of Miami- 'Nanny Nation'. No moms, just their uniformed, Spanish speaking nannies.
Oh well- we may not make new best friends there, but Tyler still loved pulling different books off the shelves to flip through together. Its not as welcoming as others we've been spoiled with, but I still look forward to going back many more times this winter.

Sarah said...

to the author of this blog:

START UPDATING, LAME-O!!!!!!!!!